Monday, June 30, 2008

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Another bicyclist vs bear encounter.

Fritz has left a new comment on your post "Another bicyclist vs bear encounter":

Dana, from the news account this looks like it took place near a populated area on maintained jogging/biking trails.

My views on outdoor activity for children align with this documentary. These issues are also discussed at Free Range Kids.

My son is 12: He goes backpacking with his boy scout troop in bear and mountain lion country, he surfs in shark infested waters, he even rides his bike through heavy traffic to get to school.

My children are much more cautious than I was, and I was one of those "sissy" risk averse children. I remember when I was seven years old climbing a fence with "DANGER: KEEP OUT" signs near my home to explore the dangerous deep and steep canyon with crumbling rock ledges, narrow ravines, rattlesnakes, bobcats, and coyotes. My friends and I did this every weekend, and I remember the accomplishment of finally reaching the bottom of the canyon.



Posted by Fritz to Cyclelicious at 6/30/2008 10:26:00 AM