Monday, November 10, 2008

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Actor James Cromwell injured in bike accident.

Christopher Ray Miller has left a new comment on your post "Actor James Cromwell injured in bike accident":

What is a "serious" cyclist, I wonder? As opposed, I imagine, to a "flippant" cyclist? As I understand it, people seem to use the term "serious" cyclist for people who use high-priced bicycles as sports items (cf. this cyclist's "training" ride) rather than as their everyday regular means of transport. So many thousands of Copenhageners and Amsterdammers together with thousands if not millions of ordinary people around the world (including myself) must then, by this token, not be "serious" cyclists: we are only using our bicycles for the frivolous purpose of getting ourselves around in our daily movements around town (instead, I assume, of using cars, which is what "serious" people do)...?

I wish to heaven this insulting term could be retired from people's vocabulary.



Posted by Christopher Ray Miller to Cyclelicious at 11/10/2008 07:31:00 PM