Monday, August 20, 2007

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Overland Park transportation and bicycling.

Warren T has left a new comment on your post "Overland Park transportation and bicycling":

I live one block off Metcalf right where the new construction project is under way. There are SO many alternatives to riding on Metcalf that I never even considered using it for bike transportation. Between 83rd and 103rd you can use Lowell. Between 110th and 51st, Lamar is wonderful. Both Lowell and Lamar are wide enough that other traffic can get around you easily. I ride Lamar for ~30 to my Dad's and ~ 30 blocks back every Sunday and I've only had one incident where an elderly lady rolled through a stop sign forcing a quick stop.

Sure, I guess some bike facilities would be nice, but I don't think they're really needed.

A note about the Indian Creek Bike/Hike Trail: The construction at 103rd and Metcalf is taking out the part of the trail that ran under Metcalf. They have placed bike detour signs up both east and west to direct you to the crosswalk ACROSS Metcalf. I really recommend getting off the bike to walk it across and KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!!! They've added some pavement to join the sidewalk and path on the east side.



Posted by Warren T to Cyclelicious at 8/20/2007 08:07:00 AM