Monday, November 12, 2007

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Fight global warming and obesity.

cafiend has left a new comment on your post "Fight global warming and obesity":

I adopted the bike as transportation in the 1970s because I grew up watching my parents get fat and listening to them bitch about it, while they did substantially nothing to reverse the problem. I figured out that if I put the bike between me and the paycheck in the morning and supper at night, I would have to ride. At the same time I would save vast amounts of money, be able to overeat a little (or a lot) without suddenly ballooning in size, and reduce traffic congestion and pollution. It seemed so sensible to me. My reward from the rest of American society has been a steady stream of threats and abuse from increasingly obese drivers in increasingly ridiculous trucks.

Even so, I would do it all again. It has been a good way to live and a good life to promote. I'm not a pure cyclist. I drive when I have to. But I recommend non-motorized recreation all the time and non-motorized transportation as the default, with a car used only under conditions requiring it. (Yes, there's fine print.) Just try your best to avoid motors. Life is incredibly better.



Posted by cafiend to Cyclelicious at 11/12/2007 03:25:00 PM