Sunday, August 03, 2008

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Cycling in Los Angeles vs Portland.

Adriel has left a new comment on your post "Cycling in Los Angeles vs Portland":

I bike in Austin, TX and for the most part it is really good. I ride in a mixed style where if I am going slow (under 13mph) I will ride in a bike lane, and if I am going faster than this, I try to claim the lane (Unless it is really wide, and then I just ride in a safe position maybe 4' from the curb).

I do not have a lot of problems, most drivers are courteous, occasionally I get the real close minded individual who will harass me. Only on one occasion did someone turn around and aim their car at me. (I hopped onto the sidewalk, I am pretty sure they were drunk, and they drove off laughing, I called 911 but it didn't help anything).

So, I get the harassment just like any cyclist, but when I claim the lane, I rarely have a fight on my hands to keep it. The only time I get in a lot of trouble is when I hug the curb. Then cars will pass too close etc etc.

Anyway, mostly good, when it is bad it really really sucks, and stands out in my mind. From what I have heard this is pretty much the same most places.



Posted by Adriel to Cyclelicious at 8/03/2008 02:49:00 PM