Monday, November 05, 2007

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Folk cycling.

Ron has left a new comment on your post "Folk cycling":

Howdy--

Okay, I haven't linked to the other blogs, I've only read Fritz's synopsis, but I think this might be pertinent.

One of my favorite sets of bike laws is in Idaho, where cyclists get to enjoy the "Idaho stop". That is, cyclists get to treat stop signs as yields, and we can proceed through red lights after coming to a complete stop (though I hope that doesn't encourage riders to split the lane between parked cars and traffic).

I think these allowances recognize that the laws weren't made for cyclists, who will yield out of self-interest, and who could make do with much less expensive and complicated traffic control than stoplights. Plus, the stoplight part allows riders to leave a plug of traffic behind and enjoy some open road.

Happy Trail,
Ron Georg
Moab



Posted by Ron to Cyclelicious at 11/05/2007 01:51:00 PM