Tuesday, November 06, 2007

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Folk cycling.

Fritz has left a new comment on your post "Folk cycling":

Doug, lane splitting (riding between two lanes) is legal only in California in the United States, but filtering forward at an intersection at the right is maybe legal on the principle that if motorists can safely pass cyclists in the same lane, then the reverse should also be true. I Am Not A Lawyer, though, and my advice is worth about what you paid for it.

I personally ride "vehicularly," but I'm also, umm, flexible about the rules. If there are only a handful of cars at an intersection I might wait my turn in the queue, especially if lane width is not adequate for safe passing. If the lane is wide enough, though, I'll filter right up to the front with hesitation. Just watch for the right hook and you should be fine.

I know a lot of people get really uptight about cyclists slowing but not coming to a complete stop at stop signs, but that pretty much matches driver behavior *shrug* I also like the Iowa yield law that Ron mentioned.

Fishbone, do you live outside the U.S.? Most cyclists in America appear to be recent immigrants riding bikes from *Mart or yardsales and pawnshops.

Thanks for the comments, all!



Posted by Fritz to Cyclelicious at 11/06/2007 12:56:00 PM