Friday, October 03, 2008

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Bike commuter benefit now law!.

Ron has left a new comment on your post "Bike commuter benefit now law!":

Howdy--

It's a start, and maybe it can help shift perceptions, especially if large corporations use it to help encourage cycling.

I don't think it does much for me, being self-employed from home, since it specifies employer reimbursement for travel to and from work. I fail on both counts.

However, I do travel about town for work, usually by bicycle. What I need is to be able to write off my milage as an expense, mile by mile, just as I would in my car. As it stands, I would actually realize such a substantial tax break for driving, it would almost be worth it financially to use the car.

Not only should there be a milage write off, it should be equal that of a car. I realize the expenses are far from equal, but it would be recognition that taking one car off the road has tremendous social benefits. After all, corporations can earn carbon credits for cleaning up--I'd be happy to take credit for the carbon I keep out of the atmosphere in the form of a tax credit.
Happy Trails,
Ron Georg
Moab



Posted by Ron to Cyclelicious at 10/03/2008 04:46:00 PM