Wednesday, July 11, 2007

[Cyclelicious] New comment on Bicycle Orange Beach Alabama.

Tim Jackson- Masi Guy has left a new comment on your post "Bicycle Orange Beach Alabama":

First off, I have to point out and agree with James; there are a@#hole drivers everywhere. Hell, I was never once hit by a car growing up in Alabama... but I've been hit far too many times here in Bike-Friendly California.

And, yes, riding in Alabama can be some of the best anywhere. I grew up near Orange Beach. I've been on Perdido Beach Blvd many, many times- my grandparents kept their boat in Orange Beach. I rode countless miles from my home in Fairhope to the old Civil War fort, Fort Morgan. The round trip, via country roads, was nearly 140 miles (when I was 14-16 years old). I can honestly say, it still remains some of the best riding of my life. One of the highlights was crossing over the Intercoastal Canal Bridge. That thing went straight up and straight down. The view from the top was awesome... and the descent was hair raising!

My dad still lives near Birmingham, about an hour north, and I spent summers with him and would ride the wonderful country roads there. Again, as good as anything I've ridden out here in SoCal. I honestly would love to go back and ride some of those old training routes again- even though I'm not nearly the same climber. Many of those roads were nothing but hills.

I'd love to see more comments from current Bama riders. How are things there these days? I have to admit, I haven't ridden back there since probably 1988. I'm sure things are at least a little different now.



Posted by Tim Jackson- Masi Guy to Cyclelicious at 7/11/2007 11:15:00 PM